We’ve been to Abuja, Lagos & Port Harcourt, and unfortunately haven’t found this years International Young Fashion Entreprenuer. Are you a Young Fashion Entrepreneur? Here’s your chance, please see the new requirements below.
The YFE awards programme is unique in that it rewards the talent and initiative of young creative entrepreneurs from across the creative fashion industry recognizing the central role they play in the development of a competitive and sustainable creative economy. One of the key objectives of the YCE programme is to sensitise the UK creative sector to the opportunities that come from working with other creative entrepreneurs in emerging economies. A second objective is to better understand the dynamics of being an entrepreneur in the creative economy.
British Council and LFDW have identified the need to identify such talents and provide them with the right networking abilities to further expose their business to the much needed prominence and simultaneously grow the Nigerian fashion industry.
The winner of the Fashion award will be invited to take part in a tour of the industry in the UK during London Fashion Week. We anticipate that this tour will take place in 2014.
Who can enter?
• Be aged between 21 and 40 at the date applications are due
• Already work in the fashion sector with at least three years’ experience
• Be entrepreneurial and have shown your ability in the promotion of fashion in Nigeria, particularly in a commercial context
• Through your character, drive and abilities demonstrate your potential to be a future leader of the fashion industry in Nigeria and a partner for the UK – which would see further work between Nigeria and the UK
• Have English language skills to IELTS 6 or above- ‘competent user’ or above.
You must already be active professionally in the local Fashion sector, as defined below:
Fashion sector definitions
For the purpose of this award participants can be drawn from any of the following areas of the fashion business:
• Fashion, textile, accessories or perfume design and production
• Fashion promotion: shows, exhibitions, festivals, events
• Fashion retail: buying, merchandising
• Fashion product research, sourcing, supply chain management
• Fashion marketing, PR, branding, journalism
• Fashion publishing, communications, websites
We recognise that a participant may strongly influence the business of fashion without being a practising fashion designer.
Definition of a Creative Entrepreneur
For the purpose of this awards programme we are defining creative entrepreneurs as follows:
• Somebody working in the fashion industry (as defined above) who is able to demonstrate business success in the classic terms of business growth (profit, market share, employees) and/or in terms of their reputation (quality and aesthetic) amongst their peers.
• Somebody working in the fashion industry (as defined above) who has developed a successful (in terms of impact and reach) social or not for profit enterprise in this sector.
• Somebody working in the fashion industry (as defined above) who has shown leadership in the industry by championing its development in their country.
• Somebody working in the fashion industry (as defined above) who has developed initiatives (exhibitions, trade fairs etc) that develop and grow the market for the fashion in their country.
The winner will participate in a UK tour scheduled to take place in 2014.
How to Enter
Download application forms from our website www.britishcouncil.org/nigeria fill in electronically and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for applications
30 September 2013
When will you be contacted?
Only short listed applicants will be contacted. They will be required to come for an interview at the British Council Lagos on Tuesday 15 October.
Please download the Application form, HERE.
*Please note this is a re-advertisement for the award. See the old one, HERE.